Monday, January 23, 2017

The week of New Things

Hello everyone!!! I hope you have all had a great week!! 

My week was a little rough. Adjusting to a new area is a lot harder than I thought, and I felt homesick for Mafra which isn’t even my home. Saying the final goodbye to everyone on Monday was so hard. Those people have a place in my heart forever. 

Transfers were good! Handling the suitcases was so hard. My arms were sore the next day hahaha but I could do it better than Sister Conrad so I didn’t feel too pathetic. But it took us 30 minutes to get from our apartment to the stop, which is about 7 minutes away. But also 4 flights of stairs with 4 suitcases is hard. My back was hurting a ton.


But I arrived in Seixal and its pretty much the opposite of Mafra. Its pretty ghetto/ugly to be honest so I don’t have any pictures. It’s actually probably one of the ugliest areas I have been in Portugal hahahha but that that it matters. Is also pretty sketchy so we avoid some roads at night but I think we are good. I was spoiled in Mafra. Also we have a WARD with over 100 members!!! And we had FOUR meals with people this week. This is so strange for me. Church yesterday was a little overwhelming. I don’t think I have ever given that many beijinhos (little kisses) in my life. Also was so weird to not have responsibilities and just enjoy church?? It will definitely be an adjustment!! But I am excited to work here with this ward! They are excited about the work! Also our area is huge… we spend about half of the day walking. That’s probably a good thing if we have a ton of meals with members (which is already proving to be a struggle for me and my picky eating habits. I will grow out of them quick I think/hope). 

But yea we had a good week here! I really like Sister Truman so I am excited to work with her for this transfer!! She is actually really good friends with Katie Engle and knows the whole San Clemente group because she did summer semester so that’s really funny. It’s been hard because our level of work isn’t exactly the same, so its been hard to work hard but not be that annoying missionary who is a party pooper. Sister Conrad and I just had a great routine that it will take a little longer to adjust to a new person. But it’s good!  Her language is good! We are about the same level with a lot of things because she only has like 3 months more than me. I actually have a better vocab (because sister Conrad knows so much so that’s good) but she has better grammar and accent so that’s good! It’s good because we are learning together!! 


We actually have a baptism planned for next Sunday! For a 19 year old named Mayara. The sisters found her just 4 days before I got here, and she went to church last Sunday and loved it. They marked her for baptism and then I arrived. She is the definition of an elect. We started teaching commandments and she ran to her room to get a notepad to take notes for our lesson!! Yesterday at church she participated more than the other YSA`s in her class. I love her. She is so ready for baptism so next Sunday will be an awesome day!!  Also Felipe should be baptized this Saturday but I have to call and check with the sisters!! 


Other than that this week has just been a lot of trying to get to know the area and adjust to the area. Also it has been freezing and our heater broke (I have the worst luck with heaters). On Friday during weekly planning we could literally see our breath in our own apartment. Also we only have hot water for 3 minutes at a time I learned while I was trying to take a shower HAHAHA. SO yea its been good ole mission adventures! 

Today for Pday we went to Lapos to be tourists and walk around and enjoy good ole Portugal. I love it here and I am so blessed to be in this beautiful land!! 

Also as a mission we were challenged to read the Book of Mormon cover to cover before February 15th. So we have been basically reading any free moment we have. Its been so good to just study the Book of Mormon and be reminded about how true and how blessed we are to have this book. I know without a doubt that it is true and we can receive revelation through it. I am so grateful for Joseph Smith and all the sacrifices he made to translate the Book of Mormon and restore this beautiful gospel. 

Com Muito Amor,

Sister Jones



RIP Sister Cones

Last dinner with Candida in Mafra. Love her more than words.

Today in Lapos. Pictures dont do anything justice here in Portugal 

No comments:

Post a Comment