Monday, November 21, 2016

DIA DE GRAÇAS

HELLO!!! Wow this week was a crazy one. Basically everyday of the week was one of those days you and your companion cant even say a prayer without bursting into laughs because so many crazy and funny things happened!! 

We started off our week in Mem Martins on Monday, and then went to Lisboa on Tuesday for a special meeting for our zone. Basically our zone was chosen to be the guinea pig for a new conference, which is basically 4 hours of practicas with the president, his wife, and the assistantes. Sister Conrad and I were basically freaking out before it started because we had to give all 5 lessons and they evaluated us and it was so scary!! But we learned so much and I am so grateful for it now!! But talk about panic attack for the week leading up to the conference.

Then we returned to Mafra and on Wednesday we were preparing to have a normal work day and were doing our estudos in the morning, so it was silent in our apartment and then all the sudden the heater fan we have (Portugal is freezing if you were wondering) started sparking and then a LEGIT FIRE started in the heater. We both jumped up so fast and I quickly unplugged it. Wow, was MALOUCO. But it put itself out and left behind a LOVELY stench that I am pretty sure is still in our apartment. 

But after this heater thing we decided to put our foot down and call the office about this heater and our washing machine that’s had problems for a long time. They sent a senior couple out to look at it and they don’t speak Portuguese that great right now so it was all in English and it was SO hard. It’s been 2 months since I have had a conversation in English so it was like a weird mix of English and Portuguese and was so funny. Basically I am not fluent in Portuguese or English now so yes its great!! But they got us a new washer and heater (and we can actually have clean clothes now its a MILAGRE!!)

On Saturday we had to teach a lesson IN ENGLISH (which was pretty much a train wreck)! To a man who is from Belgium so it was only Dutch or English so we chose English. It was SO hard because I have never taught a missionary lesson in English and all of my filler words were in Portuguese it was so bad and also SO FUNNY. It was probably the funniest lesson I have ever had because he was literally so funny. Man teaching him will be an adventure because as we taught him he had a cigarette in one hand and a beer in the other. Oh man yea made for a great story that’s for sure. We asked him to say the closing prayer and basically the prayer was all about Sister Conrad and mine loves life (literally so many people are interested in our love lives its so funny) and then at the end of the prayer he was like "Please bring them the GOOD BOYS (really exaggerated)... they deserve it" and Sister Conrad and I lost it. We could not hold it together it was SO funny. Definitely the funniest prayer I have ever heard, especially on my behalf. Man this week was so funny I wish I could explain all the crazy things that have happened with Sister Cones (Conrad and Jones.. duh). Man life is a great adventure with us that's for sure.

On Sunday a member brought a friend who only speaks English so I had to translate for him and wow it was so hard. I didn’t realize how much Portuguese I actually know until this week. I have finally reached the point where I can think in Portuguese and can speak without having to translate my thoughts so then this week it was all thrown off with all this English but tudo bem. 

Um but this week was good!!! Oh also Ingrid Gubler is the girl that Kim Thomas talked about a lot before my mission because they are all in the same ward! I know her and will actually see her tomorrow at Conferencia de zona. She is serving in the area that Sister Conrad served in last. They weren’t companions but they lived together. She is way sweet!! 

ALSO THIS WEEK IS DIA DE GRAÇAS!!! They don’t have in Portugal which I am a little sad about but we are having a ward (actually a group here in Mafra haha) activity with some Thanksgiving activities to bring our home here!! This year I am so thankful to have grown up in a home that always had the spirit and for my wonderful family who I miss so much. I will miss Thanksgiving so much with you guys. Holidays are not the same without family that’s for sure.  Also so thankful for the Savior and the fact that through Him I can change everyday and be better and truly be transformed as I use the Atonement in my life everyday!! 

Oh also as I was praying this week during a lesson a dog attacked my face with kisses and I freaked out during the prayer and could not hold it together. My life is a joke here in Portugal when literally every single person has a freaking cão. so yea that was fun. 

LOVE YOU ALL!! HAVE A GOOD THANKSGIVING! 

Sister Jones 
Pictures of us celebrating one year of being a missionary for Sister Conrad and then our awesome Christmas tree. You gotta be creative when you don’t have any money



Zona Cacem

No comments:

Post a Comment