Monday, June 19, 2017

Summers in Faro: Shirtless men and bad tan lines

Hello família!!! 

This week was so good and SO hot! Like its been in the 40s. I am not sure what that is in Fahrenheit. But it’s hot. But I am wearing sunblock, mom. Don’t worry. 

Also lets just note that Portugal during the summer is FULL of shirtless, hairy men. It’s the absolute WORST. Like seriously. Okay that is all. Please everyone put a shirt on. 

But this week was good! I learned a lot and have been focusing on being better everyday. We had zone conference and President Tavares talked a lot about leaving our comfort zone and reaching the zone of consecration. He talked a lot about specific things that missionaries in the comfort zone do, and how they can change to be in the consecrated zone. I won’t even lie, I identified a lot with the missionary in the comfort zone. I have been in Portugal for 9 months, I finally am comfortable with the language, culture, and everything that missionary work entitles-talking to everyone on the street, staying out all day, always finding ways to serve other, things like that. While its good to be confident with that stuff, we always need to search to do something more and always progress. This week I have made some goals to always do more, and do that hard things, to help me progress, but mostly to help the work here in Faro. 

Also this week we entered a pharmacy to buy something really quick, so i was being my clumsy self and not paying attention, walked right into a display of sunscreen and watched it all fall down, and every small container of sunscreen hit the ground. It was SO embarrassing. They all just looked at me like a stupid American. But hey, they became impressed when I could speak Portuguese so I think that took off a few of the stupid points I gained. My comp is basically embarrassed to be seen in public with me because things like this ALWAYS happen. 

BUT YEA. That’s about all I got this week. We are trying hard, praying a lot, and trying to get out of this dry spell. I have faith that this week will be really good! 

LOVE YOU ALL!!! Have a great week! Eat a good taco for me 

Sister Jones 



PS- Madalyn’s birthday is Friday the 23rd so this was her response to wishing her Happy Birthday:  Thanks for the birthday wishes!!! We already have plans to eat dinner with my favorite family here in Faro so it should be good! Other than that we will basically just work like normal that day haha. No I didn’t get the package. We had conference this week and I got a birthday card from Uncle Doug and Nattress , but nothing other than that. I probably wont get it until next transfer, but its fine. Gives me something to look forward too. Eat good Mexican food for me please. And go swimming or the beach. That’s all I want to do right now haha!

 Those feet are not dirty...just tan haha!


An American sign in Portugal!

No comments:

Post a Comment