Monday, February 27, 2017

Handwritten letter from Sister Jones as she procrastinated packing!

Yoo-hoo Familia!

Well its been sometime without a letter and I should be packing up my stuff right now, but am avoiding it (nothings changed). So I was like, hey I'll write a letter for my family!

Well I am still here serving a mission- I can't believe that its already been almost 7 months.  It seems like every month and transfers goes by faster and faster.  Also weird that right now I am fluent in another language.  I never thought I would arrive at this point.  One thing I learned is that no matter how good us Americans talk, people will still have a hard time understanding us.  Dang accents!  But todo-bem.  I am already praying that Trevor will serve in Brazil (or Meredith!) because then we can talk (with accents way different) but also he can baptize BUEY!  But yea, I have learned that we are all on our missions for a special reason.  The people here in Portugal are like eggs.  They have a really hard shell, but once we crack it-they are straight gold.  The challenge is cracking the shell!

Some other things about Portuguese people:

-They are literally always sick- if they don't want to do something its always "oh I am sick" or "I am caring for a sick person".

-If you are talking and they want to say something, they will just talk over you in a louder voice.

-There are SO many Jehovah's Witnesses here.  The worst mistake you can do is try to contact a "TJ" (Testemunho de Jehovah)- they will go into a huge rant about the name of God.

-It smells bad here.

-The word for congested (like when you have a stuffy nose) is constapada- I literally thought people were saying they were constipated my whole first transfer! haha!

-People here LOVE tea "vamos tar um chazinho" literally everyday

-Beijinhos- so many kisses- sometimes I'm jealous of Elders

-People here always eat with the fork in the left hand and knife in the right.  It makes more sense, but it is so hard....still.

-If you let yourself out of the house of someone it means you won't return- so if you want to leave you have to stand by the door and wait for people to open it for you.

-People work so much- literally everyday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. and only have one free day a week.  It is pretty sad to be honest.

-People here LOVE to talk!  Its good because I have to talk less, but also annoying during lessons.

-People here are so honest.  If you gain weight, they'll tell you, if you have acne, they'll tell you, if they don't like your haircut, they'll tell you.  Its a good thing I don't get offended about these things here- a few days ago someone said my haircut makes me look like a boy haha!

-They LOVE to give directions!  They are so funny about it too.  It's an honor for them if you ask for directions.

Okay, that's probably enough for now.  but yea, my mission has been the hardest thing I have ever done, but I have also felt so much happiness here- real happiness that comes from helping people receive the blessings of the gospel.  I am so grateful for all the experiences I had growing up.  All the hard times I went through and all the things I have learned to prepare me for this time I have right now.  There is nothing better, and also very few things harder, than giving your whole will to the Lord.  Putting off your desires, fears and needs and letting the Lord take control of your life.  He can do so much more with our lives than we can alone.

Love you all so much and pray for all of you everyday!

Con muito amor,
Sister Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment